Friday, February 13, 2009

The Yarn Harlot

I admit I'm a little slow. I'm just now reading "Yarn Harlot: the secret life of a knitter" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. From 2005.

I have loved this book from the start. First, I'm a mom and I love that the chapters are short and stand alone. That is fantastic. It means I can actually read it and not forget things (wait -that makes me sound like I'm old - really I'm not old!). Second, this woman is a riot. I've known this for years since I read her blog, and this book is some of her best stuff. Stephanie is so normal. She's a mom, she knits, she battles squirrels... I can identify with her life and she makes me feel like I'm more normal. Bonus!

And now for my favorite chapter of her book - Parents and Knitters. She writes "The top ten ways why being a parent is like being a knitter". And while I enjoy the entire chapter my favorite today is "3. Both knitting and parenting are more pleasant if you have the occasional glass of wine, but go right down the drain if you start up with a lot of tequila or shooters." I feel like she actually knows me - or my kids - or my knitting.

Now I have to go get all her books from the library!

Free-range knitter: The yarn harlot writes again
Things I Learned From Knitting Whether I Wanted To or Not
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off The Yarn Harlot's Guide to the Land of Knitting
Knitting Rules! The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks
At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
Knitlit Too edited by Linda Roghaar and Molly Wolf

No comments: